Since we discovered the issue with the chimney breast we have been busy planning and implementing the big changes that have been somewhat forced upon us. Thankfully Mr M was a carpenter in a previous life. He will be able to undertake a portion of the work to keep the overall costs down. We have split the job into stages. After carefully planning the new layout the next stage was the very messy rip out.
Planning a new layout
The bathroom is a great size, at just short of 9 foot square but the old layout was not ideal. There was a separate shower but the position of the door meant that a corner bath had been installed rather than a full length one. Since we were having to gut the room I really wanted to squeeze a roll top bath in there and to really embrace the period feel of the house.
We had a few companies come and draw up plans but we just weren’t on the same page. Mr M is 6’4″ so a mini 4″ plunge bath was never going to work. After trying every which way to get a full length bath in we realised that moving the door and radiator would give us the much needed square footage.
The other issue we had was that the central heating boiler is in the bathroom. We inquired about moving it but the cost was eye watering. Instead I decided to adapt a tall kitchen larder unit to house the boiler and provide storage into the bargain.
Moving the door will allow us to achieve our dream bathroom
The offending chimney breast and awkwardly positioned boiler
Gutting the room
Once we knew what our layout was going to be we set to work in gutting the room. The builders knocked out the chimney quite quickly.
We then proceeded to remove the tiles and discovered the old lathe and plaster work underneath
Junior was horrified to discover that there was horse hair in the plaster!
There’s a hole in my floor!
For the first 2 weeks of the renovation we kept the corner bath in situ. We needed somewhere to wash off the dust! This was not without problems since we had been left with a big hole in the bathroom floor/ dining room ceiling. This couldn’t be sorted until the downstairs chimney was fully removed and the new steel inserted to support the weight of the rooms above.
On the bright side you could talk to whoever was in the kitchen while you were in the bath!
Our temporary ‘open plan’ kitchen/bathroom
This stage of the renovations took about a week . I won’t lie, it was very messy and frustrating. I have never seen so much dust in my life! We have moved on from this stage now and things are finally coming together. I am so excited to finish the job and to share it with you. I am even more excited to have a bath and wash my hair.