In just a few days the children break up for the summer holidays. The last few years have seen quite poor weather that has prevented us from making the most of our break. This year though, wow, the sun is well and truly out. It has really lifted my spirits and I am excited to spend time doing fun things together as a family rather than being stuck inside, with everyone glued to their phones, lamenting the never ending rain. With that in mind I have made a list of our plans for the summer in the hope that we can make the most of the glorious weather.
Our plans for the summer
Out and about…
- Go on holiday! I’m really looking forward to this because it may be the last family holiday we take with OJ, who is 19 and getting too cool to do things like this with his folks now!
- Use our National Trust card. Membership of the National Trust is a really cost effective way of visiting their properties and it always makes for a fun family day out.
- Visit Bosworth water park in Warwickshire. They have great man made beaches. It’s a wonderful way to spend the day ‘at the beach’ without having to travel to the actual seaside.
- Go to the zoo or a Sea Life centre. Peanut recently went on a school trip to the zoo and had a blast. I want in on the action, why should the kids have all the fun?
Closer to home…
- Play tennis and basket ball. We have courts that are free to use at the bottom of the road and it would be a shame not to utilise them.
- Fun in the garden. I’d like to get some new garden toys and really make the most of the space we have.
- Ride our bikes. If I can get hold of a bike basket we can go on a picnic too.
- Have a water fight. Because that’s what summer’s all about, am I right?
Just in case…
because let’s face it we cannot rely on the great British weather!
- Make a stop motion video. Junior makes great stop motion videos and I think it would be cool if he could teach me and we can work on them together.
- Go to the cinema. There’s some great films out at the moment that we’d all like to see.
- Take a family photo. I’ve lots of pictures of the kids individually or in groups of two but very few of all four together. Bribery may have to be used to achieve this.
- Go to Ikea. A strange one this but the kids love a trip to Ikea. They love the room set ups and go giddy at the kitchen storage solutions. And meatballs. Worth a trip in itself for those I think.
I hope that we get to accomplish most, if not all, of the things on this list. If we do it will surely be a wonderful summer and we will make some fantastic memories to look back on when the weather undoubtedly changes!
What are your plans for the summer?
My word of the week is plans